Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Steampunk Style


Between last week’s NYT article on steampunk trends and Christian Bale’s visit to shopbop’s hometown to film a movie, my weekend DVD rental was a no-brainer. I picked up The Prestige and soaked up every last Victorian, bustle-and-crinoline, Jules Verne-inspired moment of the film. Maybe it’s because the summer onslaught of superhero and futuristic action films has begun, but I crave the sepia-toned formality of the costumes and the smoke-and-mirrors vaudeville flair.

And I must be nearing obsession, because Victorian and steampunk styles are popping out at me from all corners of shopbop.

Gryphon’s ruffled, bustled Petti-Coat adds a brightly contrasting belt with an ornately molded buckle and Eugenia Kim’s twill Slouchy Newsboy Cap invites a jaunty angle and a sly sense of humor. Twenty8Twelve is a little more subtle with the embroidered Lottie Long Sleeve Top, reminding me of elaborate Victorian undergarments. Their Roantree Cover-up Tee tends to the other extreme, featuring a surreal boudoir graphic. Perhaps the most authentic is Thea Grant’s charmingly tarnished jewelry. Using vintage objects, Grant creates sweetly gothic necklaces, bracelets, and earrings.

For fall, Rag & Bone features military jackets, Derek Lam offers structured wool overcoats, and Sari Gueron gives crinoline a fashion-forward silhouette.

Obsessions beg indulgence, so if you’ll please excuse me, I’m going to go find my aviator goggles and finish reading Journey to the Center of the Earth.

No comments: